Welcome human, to the online identity of
In 2011, I co-founded Mobisol. Once we were big enough to split roles, I led the customer experience unit till 2018. We received numerous awards for our innovative and user-centered business model and enabled hundreds of thousands of East Africans to power their households and businesses with clean energy. Then we crashed (almost).
Today, I am consulting agencies, intrapreneurs and start-ups on consumer research, product innovation and lean development, either on my own or with Lovolab.
Context-wise, these projects spiraled around cleantech, climate adaptation, open education and open-source approaches and ethical design.
I also facilitate learning spaces around the topics of Entrepreneurship, Service Design, Human-centered Design and Fair Business Models, or advocate for these topics as speaker, author and workshop organizer.
And I received a full grant scholarship to join the research group Microenergy Systems and currently finish my PhD thesis on how to implement service design in the Global South.
I uncover people’s needs aspirations and behavior and investigate and visualize how they experience products or services. I plan, conduct and synthesize qualitative research, map pain points and opportunities. Together, we ideate and test new concepts and ultimately build a sustainable solution around it.
New (business) concepts need to be validated before launching. We define critical assumptions, formulate hypotheses and carry out low-budget experiments so that you focus on what is most important.
I can also support you with agile practices like project planning and communication in flat hierarchies or I facilitate teambuilding, design sprints and retrospectives.
I am an advocate for learner-centered education. I love to design and facilitate creative learning spaces, in which playfulness, psychological safety and connection are as important as the content.
Too many buzzwords? I also cringed when squeezing my competences in the offer above. So I decided to write some case studies that detail what these overworked phrases mean to me.
How might we improve (broken) touchpoints between Mobisol and its customers from interest till end-of-use?
Lean & Agile
How might we validate the business idea of Simu Crop, a promising spin-off from academia, within three months?
How might the Femtec Innovation Lab turn into an empowering project for stipends and case contributors alike?
If you are interested in an extended project portfolio, get in touch.
I deliver my work in writing, talking, consulting or coaching. Recent outputs are a book chapter for This is service design doing, getting scientists from Helmholtz AI excited about entrepreneurship and co-creating Wikimedia’s UNLOCK Accelerator.
Wondering what I do right now?
- I support diconium data as a service designer and jumped headlong into nerdy topics like machine learning, gaining trust in AI and data mesh and data as a product.
- I coach 20 bright minds through their innovation lab with Deutsche Telekom.
- I mentor Scinergy, an academic start-up aiming to make energy scenarios not only useful for politicians but anyone who needs to plan ahead.
- And I just got my Pico 4 headset to get into some serious research (and gaming) in virtual reality.
Modes of Collaboration
Author / Speaker
- I am happy to share my skills, experiences and f*ck-ups with your audience. Tell me what you have planned and I’ll prepare a captivating piece with your feedback.
- Ex. 1: Talk about my vision for service design in the Global South
- Ex 2: Book chapter for This is Service Design Doing on Prototyping in Service Design
- Ex. 3: German Article for bpb on Effective Virtual Collaboration
- You need a lecture, workshop or whole curriculum around my skillset? Tell me about your participants and main goals, and I craft an engaging workshop (series), remote or IRL.
- Ex 1: 3-day Design Thinking workshop with master students on a business-related challenge of VW
- Ex. 2: 90 min workshop on Service Design in the Global South for participants of the SDN Global Conference
- Ex. 3: 3-hr remote workshop on Ethical Ideation for KISD students
Coach / Facilitator
- There is a challenge or open question in your organization that you need time and space to work on? I’ll guide you and your team through an event (series) to get to grips with it.
- Ex. 1: Guiding the team “Follow the Vote” through the 3-month accelerator program UNLOCK
- Ex. 2: Customized version of the discover complexity workshop for a team of 5 of SPACE 10
- Ex. 3: Remote Design Sprint over the course of 6 weeks with a team of 10 within the gsub mbH
- The challenge is big and you need support? Let’s do an initial workshop to assess our chemistry and gain trust. We can then define goals etc. for a closer collaboration.
- Ex. 1: Helping Wikimedia define and set up the UNLOCK Accelerator program
- Ex. 2: Consulting sciencepreneurs from Helmholtz Institute over 3 months in their first founding phase within the Field Study Fellowship